ZRS Bistra Ptuj has in November 2013 organized an open seminar titled “Biochar and energy use of biomass”. The seminar was dedicated to biomass producers, manufactures and fertilizers users, energy users, educational and research institutions, technical stakeholders and representatives of the relevant ministry. A total of 68 participants attended the seminar.
The objective of the seminar was to present the environmental and economic advantages of technologies such as pyrolysis and gasification for the production of clean energy and biochar. The seminar was also focused on the multi-application effects of biochar application as a soil additive in agriculture: increase of carbon stocks and soil fertility improvement.
The seminar has addressed the following issues:
- Presentation of the project E2BEBIS (dr. Rižnar Klavdija)
- Emissions of greenhouse gases in agriculture (dr. Jože Verbič)
- Wood biomass and CO2 consumption by wood production and processing (Veronika Valentar)
- Technology for the heat production, electricity and biochar – Economic and enviromental benefits (doc. dr. Dušan Klinar)
- Biochar – Product certification and legal regulation of its use (dr. Maja Zupančič Justin)
- Biochar from the perspective of five different methods of using biochar and the link with sustainable food production and permaculture around the world and in Slovenia (Bojca Januš)
- Reducing the use of fertilizers and chemicals in agriculture, processed with recycling of organic waste into compost and biochar (Lea Lavrič)
- Activating biochar with compost (dr. Tanja Bagar)
- Demonstration of the preparation of biochar on a small-scale and a presentation of different biochar samples produced through pyrolysis and gasification (Bojca Januš)
For more information about the seminar, please visit the website of the partner organisation ZRS Bistra Ptuj.